Monday, May 12, 2008

Abandoning Habits

"Your god may be your little Christian habit, the habit of prayer at stated times, or the habit of Bible reading. Watch how your Father will upset those times if you begin to worship your habit instead of what the habit symbolizes - I can't do that just now, I am praying; it is my hour with God. No, it is your hour with your habit." -Oswalt Chambers, in "Make a Habit of Having No Habits"

It is a bad habit of mine to limit expectations in my relationship with the Lord of what He is able to accomplish in and through me and the lives of others. I have often reduced this most-important-of-relationships to a formula. Today I read a devotional by Oswalt Chambers titled "Make a Habit of Having No Habits" that convicted me: If we fall into irrevocable and unalterable routines of patterned prayer-times, bible-reading hours, and service attendance we may lose whole degrees of spontaneity and intimacy in our relationship with Him.

Relationships often lean on comfort, familiarity, structure and predictability. But our most cherished relationships have a spark of abandon that allows room to dream, explore and improvise within the cadence of a familiar song. This type of relationship is only developed over time. It requires complete patience, love and trust - and has an element of ease and a dash of unpredictability.

I remember back on the first days...when He revealed His Amazing Presence. Everything literally was new to me! Now I often find myself becoming impatient, taking His Love and grace and strength for granted, and falling into safe routines. I realize that this is dangerously selfish and short-sighted, and that I am not fully surrendering to His will.

PRAYER: Heavenly Father, please empty me of self and fill me with your Holy Spirit of Love that I may be completely abandoned to You and Your will for me! I ask this in Jesus' Name. Amen.

I love you.

-Daddy