Sunday, November 29, 2009

Geocaching

"Everything happens for a reason." -Unknown

I had never heard the word "geocaching" until yesterday (Saturday). Somehow I came across the word in an article and I looked it up online. Geocaching "is a high-tech treasure hunting game played throughout the world by treasure seekers equipped with GPS devices. The basic idea is to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, outdoors and then share your experiences online" (from Geocaching.com website).

Although I had never run across this word "geocaching" before, I had heard of the concept. Actually, it was about a month ago...this idea "popped into my head" that it would be awesome to set up an online treasure hunt, where people could hide items and give clues to their whereabouts in an online forum or on a specific website. I distinctly remember having a very detailed vision of this idea - weighing both the positives and negatives of the whole concept.

When I first read about geocaching yesterday (Saturday), I told Mommy: "I just had this idea recently!"
She said, "You've never heard of it (geocaching)?"
I said, "No. Never!" (Honest to goodness.)
"It's been around for a while," she said.

I also showed the website to you after you asked what we were talking about. I told you it was about treasure hunts. You asked me if we could play "Treasure Hunt." So we went outside and hid various items from each other for the next hour or so...(this is still Saturday, by the way).

Today (Sunday) was difficult. Emma was up late into the night with a fever. Mommy and I were very tired and on edge. At one point, I stormed out of the house and went to my office to "finish some work" before Monday (i.e. I was acting like a child and running away from the situation). After about twenty minutes, I called Mommy to ask her a favor, and she said she was on her way to the library in the next town. This bothered me even more, and I started an argument that ended in her being really upset and hanging up on me.

At this point, I was so frustrated. But I knew that everything that was transpiring was rooted in my impatience and anger. So I jumped in my car and headed to the library, praying the whole way there that she would forgive me. When I reached town, you guys were not at the library. I finally found you at Papa and Jojo's. Mommy and I "kissed and made up" and we all headed to the library to return several books...

There is a playground at the library. You and I played on the slide and monkey bars for a while while Mommy held Emma and watched us. When Emma began crying, I offered to carry her for a while. I walked her over to a tree with some black "pea pods" that she liked, and then over to another interesting-looking tree. Attached to one of the branches was a small camouflage container. I wanted to open it immediately, but thought it might be something dangerous, so I handed Emma over to Mommy. Very slowly and carefully, I opened the container, and inside was a rolled-up note and a little green ring (kind of like Green Lantern's ring). I gave the ring to you and opened the note...

Can you guess what it was? Yes, a geocache!

There are no coincidences in life, son. Our Lord Jesus Christ works in wonderful and mysterious ways. I am so happy that we were able to find this "earthly" treasure today. Remember, however, that the greatest treasure is Christ's Love in our hearts. Cherish His Love and abide in Him.

I love you,

Daddy

My son, if you will receive my words
And treasure my commandments within you,
Make your ear attentive to wisdom,
Incline your heart to understanding;
For if you cry for discernment,
Lift your voice for understanding;
If you seek her as silver
And search for her as for hidden treasures,
Then you will discern the fear of the LORD
And discover the knowledge of God.

For the LORD gives wisdom;
From His mouth come knowledge and understanding.
-Proverbs 2:1-6 NASB

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." -Jeremiah 29:11-13 NIV

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21 NASB

"The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure hidden in the field, which a man found and hid again; and from joy over it he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field." Matthew 13:44 NASB

And Jesus said to them, "Therefore every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a head of a household, who brings out of his treasure things new and old." -Matthew 13:52 NASB

For God, who said, "Light shall shine out of darkness," is the One who has shown in our hearts to give the Light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ. But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that the surpassing greatness of the power will be of God and not from ourselves; we are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not despairing; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying about in the body the dying of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our body. -2 Corinthians 4:6-10 NASB

Guard, through the Holy Spirit who dwells in us, the treasure which has been entrusted to you. -2 Timothy 1:14 NASB